Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Ringo



On Weds, Feb 25 I had the dreadful task of putting our Border Collie, Ringo to sleep. He was in so much pain, suffering from herniated lumbar discs and severe arthritis that he could barely walk. He could no longer climb up or down stairs and needed help just to get to a standing position. He was so depressed and the look in his eyes was lifeless. I could not let him suffer any longer.
Ringo was such a good dog and he will be so missed. During his younger years Ringo could catch a Frisbee like a champ, he lived for that job and would catch Frisbee for hours if we continued to throw it to him. He was always very found of Grant from the day we brought him home from the hospital. When I look at pictures of Grant as a baby, Ringo was right there. When Grant started playing in the backyard as a little tike and I would be making dinner, Ringo would alert me if there was anyone at the fence or if Grant needed me. This was one sweet and smart canine.
The pictures above were taken the day before he passed away. I can see the sadness in his eyes.
Grant is doing pretty well with the situation. My friend Lisa, bought a book called Dog Heaven. It is so sweet and I highly recommend it for anyone.

3 comments:

Jen said...

That is rough, isn't? We lost both of our family pets last year, and it was hard on everyone. Hard to figure out when is the right time, hard to figure out how to talk about it, etc. Sounds like you guys are handling it and doing OK but wanted to pass along how sorry I am both for this AND the loss of your grandfather. I was very close to my grandpa, and I still think about him all the time.

Anonymous said...

I am really going to miss Ringo. When my mom told me, i'm not going to lie, i cried! I loved that dog (Sydney too) and will miss taking care of him!
Love,
Jess

Sarah said...

I am sorry to here about Ringo. Losing a pet is like losing your child. But they know when its time and give us signs. Border collies are so wonderful with children and I am sure Ringo saw Grant as his child too.