Saturday, August 4, 2007

Touch Down Beijing!!






When we arrived in Chicago the flight was bumped up from 12:45 pm to 6:00 pm. We had to wait in O'Hare airport for 6 hours and then we finally boarded the plane started to taxi to the runway and then stopped and pulled back into the gate because of mechanical difficulty. We sat there for 2 hours while they fixed the plane. Needless to say we did not arrive in china until 11:30 at night and then we could not sleep at all.
But we are here and that is what is important. We went to forbidden city, boy was it crowded and Doug and I were so tired and jet lagged I am sorry to say that i didn't get to enjoy it as much as i desired to.
For Lunch we went to Duck King restaurant, and yes I tried the duck. It tasted like chewy chicken. The food was yummy and yes i did use the squatty potty and thankfully no accidents!
Then we went to the CHI office and watched a video and when they showed the video of the adoption process with Phil Collins singing "you'll be in my heart" I started to cry and get real emotional. I guess it is so close and starting to feel so real. I am going to be a emotional basket case tomorrow.
Our final stop was The Great Wall and I am very proud to say that I made it slightly more than half way. Farther than anyone in our group. I should have bought a t-shirt.
Now we are in the room and just ordered room service. Tomorrow we have to be ready in the lobby to go to the airport at 5:30 am so the next time you check I will have Lily Jane in my arms!!

Just a few personal notes..

The Duck King is a famous Restaurant in Beijing that is over 300 years old. They carve the duck table side, head and all! I will throw in a few pictures from our trip of those places. There are no "western" toilets here, only squatty potty's! I remember thinking, thank goodness they even have a potty being 300 years old! ;)

The Forbidden City.. Not one of my favorite tours either, but the history is really amazing. You can read all about it by clicking here and see more of the beautiful details of it. That is one thing in China, everything is just so amazing and full of detail.

Renee is not able to access blogger, but I will do my best to post her updates quickly. Just a reminder, she is 12 hours ahead of us here. I don't have her schedule, so not sure if she is getting Lilly on Sunday or Monday.

No comments: